At St Francis Primary School, we strive to offer the best provision and teaching of English that we can, for all our pupils. English is taught daily, with work appropriately differentiated to match all abilities.
Our ultimate aim is that all pupils will leave St Francis Primary School as children who enjoy all elements of English and have the skills and confidence to apply their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills across all areas of the curriculum. We strive to nurture a love of literature and language and to provide our children with the confidence to continue reading and writing throughout their lives.
We believe that all children can achieve in English and therefore it is vital that the curriculum is delivered in such a way that all children are included, stimulated and encouraged to achieve their full potential.
With the support of parents we aim for our children to:
- Speak clearly and confidently in all situations
- Listen actively, and respond appropriately, developing their own knowledge and opinions
- Read fluently for both pleasure and information
- Write clearly, with confidence, in any given genre
- Use spelling rules, phonics skills and grammar knowledge accurately
- Be able to proof read their work and make appropriate amendments and improvements
Our English curriculum is a core part of our teaching at St Francis Primary School, with a high priority within the timetable:
Websites to support your child' s learning at home: