In Key Stage 2 we teach a modern foreign language (MFL) - at St Francis’ this language is French.
We believe that learning a foreign language provides an opening to other cultures. A high-quality languages education fosters pupils’ curiosity and deepens their understanding of the world. The teaching at St Francis aims to enable pupils to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond to its speakers. Further providing opportunities for the children to communicate for practical purposes.
At St Francis’ children in Key Stage 2 are taught to:
- listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help
- speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases
- present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
- read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- appreciate French stories, songs, poems and rhymes
- broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly
- Describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing
- understand basic grammar appropriate to the language being studied, including feminine, masculine forms and the conjugation of high-frequency verbs; key features and patterns of the language; how to apply these, for instance, to build sentences; and how these differ from or are similar to English
Mamalisa - poetry, songs and links from around the world.
Primary Resources - French: numbers, colours, animals, time, weather, food & drink, the body, clothing, friends & family, hobbies & sport, school, around town, seasonal
Momes.net - a fabulous French site, always up to the minute news, good for inter-cultural development
BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primarylanguages/french/ - Topic related
Duolingo- https://www.duolingo.com/- Learn languages from all around the world.