Art is a foundation subject at St Francis Primary School.
At St Francis Catholic Primary School, we value Art and Design as an important part of a child’s entitlement to a broad and balanced curriculum. Art and Design provides the children with the opportunities to develop and extend many skills and an opportunity to express their individual interests, thoughts and ideas. We aim to provide our children with a platform to develop artistic skills and express themselves creatively.
Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. An art and design education should:
- engage, inspire and challenge pupils.
- equip them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art.
- help children to think critically, build respect and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design.
- help children to know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Our Art curriculum is a foundation subject. It is taught through termly topics where the children have the opportunity to:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.