Art and Design
Art and Design is a foundation subject at St Francis Primary School.
At St Francis Catholic Primary School, we value Art and Design as an important part of a child’s entitlement to a broad and balanced curriculum. Art and Design provides the children with the opportunities to develop and extend many skills and an opportunity to express their individual interests, thoughts and ideas. We aim to provide our children with a platform to develop artistic skills and express themselves creatively.
Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. An art and design education should:
- engage, inspire and challenge pupils.
- equip them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art.
- help children to think critically, build respect and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design.
- help children to know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Our Art and Design curriculum is a foundation subject. It is taught through termly topics where the children have the opportunity to:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Art and Design is a foundation subject at St Francis and a foundation subject in the National Curriculum. We teach a minimum of 1.5 days of Art and Design per term. We use the national scheme of work as a basis for our planning in art and design. We also use Chris Quigley’s Art and Design scheme and have adapted the scheme to our circumstances. Our curriculum drivers are derived from our pupil’s backgrounds and our values/beliefs about a high-quality education. This is used to ensure we give our pupil’s appropriate and ambitious curriculum opportunities.
Year 5 Space Art
Student Voice 'I am proud of learning to mix primary and secondary colours when I painted superheroes.' 'I liked hand printing in my lesson.' 'I like Art because I can be creative in any way I want.' 'I like Art because it is so much fun.' 'My favourite Art lesson was when we learnt how to sketch a face.' 'I usually enjoy my Art lessons because they are fun and we do creative things.' 'Please can we do more Art because it makes everyone happy, thank you!'